Early Warning / Early Action Pilot
- Presentation Sabine Luning (Leiden University): Conflict Analysis of Conflict Crisis in Burkina Faso (25 June, 2019)
- Presentation Boris Some (WANEP): Le Mecanisme d’alerte precoce de WANEP (25 June, 2019)
- Presentation Line Brylle (DRC-DDG): DRC-DDG in Burkina Faso (16 September, 2019)
- Presentation Ine Cottyn (Clingendael): Pastoralism and instability in Burkina Faso: Governance solutions to address emerging conflict lines (16 September, 2019)
- Presentation Peter Knoope (HSC/ICCT), (16 September, 2019)
- Presentation Abdoulaye Maiga (ECOWAS), ECOWAS Warning and Response Network (ECOWARN): an evolving system for peace and security (16 September, 2019)
- OCHA Humanitarian Snapshot Burkina Faso (French) – 21 August 2019
- DRC-DDG DRAFT Conflict and protection assessment East Burkina – July 2019
- ‘Insecurity in Southwestern Burkina Faso in the Context of an Expanding Insurgency’ (January 2019). ACLED.
- ‘The Sahel is engulfed by violence. Climate change, food insecurity and extremists are largely to blame’ (January 2019). World Economic Forum [online commentary]
- “We Found Their Bodies Later That Day” Atrocities by Armed Islamists and Security Forces in Burkina Faso’s Sahel Region (2019), Human Rights Watch.
- Burkina Faso Conflict Map (2019), PAX.
- Policy brief on national cohesion in Burkina Faso, WANEP.
- ‘The Social Roots of Jihadist Violence in Burkina Faso’s North’ (October 2017). International Crisis Group.
- ‘Security alone won’t save Burkina Faso from extremism’ (April 2017). Institute for Security Studies. [online commentary]
- ECOWAS Communiqué Final Session Extraordinaire De La Conference des Chefs d’etat de gouvernment sur le terrorisme, 14 September 2019
- ECOWAS Sommet Final Session Extraordinaire de la Conference des Chefs d’etat et de gouvernment de la CEDEAO sur la lutte le terrorisme, 14 September 2019
- ECOWAS Security Alert 19 May 2019: Persistence and mutations of terrorist threats in West Africa (19 May 2019). ECOWAS.
- ECOWAS Country Risk and Vulnerability Assessment BURKINA FASO 2017. ECOWAS.
- Policy briefs on Burkina Faso, West African Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP)
- ‘Early Warning and Response Systems Design for Social Conflicts’ (2015). OAS & UNDP [Practical guide]
- UN Women – Gender-Sensitive Early Warning and Response Strategies in Northern Nigeria (2018). [training manual]
- ‘Gender and Conflict Early Warning: Results of a literature review on integrating gender perspectives into conflict early warning systems’ (May 2014), Saferworld.
- Learning Exchange “Gender Sensitivity in Preventive Action Practice: Comparing Challenges, Finding Solutions” (June 2012), GPPAC, WANEP & WPP.
- Gender and Early Warning Systems An Introduction (2009), OSCE ODIHR.
- ‘Gender and Conflict Early Warning: A Framework for Action’ (June 2002), International Alert.
- Adolescents and Youth Dashboard Burkina Faso, United Nations Populations Fund
- Factsheet Youth in Burkina Faso (2018), Youth in Action/Save the Children.
- Effect of Youth in Action on Work Readiness and Socioeconomic Outcomes: Findings from Burkina Faso (2018), Youth in Action/Save the Children.
- Factsheet Youth in Burkina Faso (2014), youthpolicy.org.
- Geodata for Agric and Water (G4AW): STAMP, “Sustainable Technology Adaptation for Mali’s Pastoralists” & MODHEM, “Mobile Data for Moving Herd Management and better incomes”
- Cross border country projet PRODIATA “Regional Dialogue Project for peaceful transhumance in west Africa” implemented in consortium with Care as lead on pastoralist civil society organisations
- “V4CP” Voice for Change Programme on Evidences Based advocacy with Civil Society Organisations for a favourable environment
- FEMNET, the PanAfrican women’s network
- Mouvement Burkinabè des Droits de l’Homme et des Peuples (MBDHP), Ouagadougou
- Association des femmes juristes du Burkina Faso (AFJB), Ouagadougou and Bobo Dioulasso
- Centre d’Information et de Formation en matière de Droits Humains en Afrique (CIFDHA), Ouagadougou
- Associations des Femmes Miniers du Bukina Faso (AFEMIB), Ouagadougou
In 2019, PAX carries out the Pilot Project Early Warning / Early Action (EW/EA), which has a total duration of nine months. The project is a cooperation between the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA), 1GNC and the Common Effort Community, with PAX acting as the project coordinator.
The overall objective of the Pilot is to test a new method that will enable the Dutch MoFA and its Strategic Partners to quickly and effectively develop integrated and context specific threat analyses, to identify opportunities for early action-initiatives, and to streamline early action-related decision-making processes. To that end, the Pilot collects a diverse group of experts on EW/EA- and conflict prevention-related matters, including researchers and humanitarian, military and political actors. Together, we develop, test and evaluate a conflict sensitive working mechanism for EW/EA in Burkina Faso. Towards the end of the project, the developed early action-initiatives are presented to and discussed on location with local stakeholders.
The project’s methodology combines comprehensive human security risk assessments with local insights and recent data innovations (for instance, remote sensing, Open Source Intelligence, media analysis) in order to identify and act upon conflict-related risks in a timely fashion. The Pilot is part of a longer-term strategy by the Dutch government to take a human security and people-oriented approach to conflict prevention; an area of expertise of the Protection of Civilians-team. If successful, the Pilot may serve as a prelude to more structural cooperation between partners on early warning and conflict-prevention issues.
In the final phase of the Pilot, PAX produces an interactive map to present the gathered insights and produces a report on all the phases and lesson learned, which is shared with the participants and relevant communities.